Friday, January 16, 2009

Yet Another Attack on Homosexuals -- Beyonce's Music: Extremely Gay

http://worldofalbert.multiply.com/reviews/item/118
I don't know how big this will become, but I cannot NOT say anything after reading this man's review.

I'm bracing myself. *sigh*

In case he decides to put down his review or limit access to it, here's what he said:

"Is it me or is Beyonce catering herself more and more to the gay community? It all started with her breakout hit "Crazy In Love." From its intro of "tan tanantantanan" to the opening lyrics of "uh oh uh oh oh oh oh," Crazy In Love has gay written all over it. Add to that, the disturbing sight of cross dressing baklitas imitating the Beyonce dance move of pumping their chests against each other while shaking their sexually-compromised asses. Then came the "To the left, to the left" song (the title of which slipped through my mind) which became a heavy favorite among the third sex.

Gays love songs with annoying high notes (birit) so Beyonce dished out her vocal acrobatics with "Listen" from the OST of Dream Girls, which is a very gay movie by the way.

Her latest album entitled "I Am Sasha Pierce" (or is it "My Name is Sasha Pierce...whatever it is, what I'm sure of, it has a gay sounding title) sealed Beyonce's fate as the new gay icon. The album spawned two hits, "If I Were A Boy" and "Single Ladies."

Listening to If I Were A Boy could gravely demoralize the heart and soul of a young man. More so singing to it can severly compromise the testosterone level of a straight guy. Watching the music video of Single Ladies at MTV Philippines recently, with that choreography and bitchy gay facial expression, it almost led me to believe that Beyonce is a homosexual guy trapped in a woman's body.

On a final note, I have four words for you, Beyonce...

YOU ARE SO GAY!"


And this was my reply:

"I stumbled upon your review because you posted a portion of it in Pinoy Kami. While I certainly respect your opinion, I am uncomfortable with the automatic negativity that you equate with what you perceive to be "gay." And before you say that you have gay friends and so on, know that I am making this assumption because you gave a low rating (1 star) to what you say is "gay" about Beyonce's music. I would go on to say that you make several hasty generalizations that don't necessarily ring true for all homosexual individuals -- but I really want to limit myself to (a) disagreeing with your review, and (b) asking that you be a little more careful and sensitive with your words.

Again, I respect your opinion as it is your own. This is your own Web site after all. But you posted a portion of it in a public forum, and it was my assumption that you did not mind unwarranted reactions. My intent is not to offend -- nor start a debate, actually -- but perhaps shed some light into what I hope will be an intelligent discussion.

Pax."

26 comments:

  1. I'm flabbergasted. I'd be much more worried about the level of a certain neuron activity if I were him - or is he trying to be funny?

    Have you ever read James M. Cain's "Serenade"? I bet it's under this guy's pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it. Unfortunately. Or I don't know, since we're not on the same wavelength anyway (thank heavens). Believe me, my response was initially a lot longer, but I had to take into consideration that he might not actually be a worthy adversary. I just couldn't NOT say anything about it, you know?

    Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DUH TALAGA...
    Mama said that if I had nothing good to say, I shouldn't say anything na lang. I AM GOING TO SHUT UP. KAKAINIS. KAKAASAR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, but you're so wonderfully eloquent when you're mad! Heeheehee...But I understand. The first time I read his entry, I was so mad, I didn't know how to start my reply. I really wish he'd respond -- intelligently. Good grief, my own students can write arguments better than he!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside:

    Someone who doesn't want to be named (itago na lang na sa pangalan na...biro lang!*) asked about that sentence. While in some circles, "better than him" is accepted, I prefer using "better than he" (because this is my circle and I like it here, LOL). For more information regarding the great "than him"/"than he" battle, go and see what Grammar Girl (or guest-writer Charles Carson) has to say about it.

    And we go back to our regular LGBT discussion...

    Cheers! (I love injecting a little bit of grammar in everyday life! )

    * Yes, I know, I promised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. better than he is correct... :-D hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O ayan, *toot*, dalawa na kaming nagsabi ha. ;-)

    Oh, by the way, he responded na and sobrang walang kwenta nung sinabi nya. Kawalang gana makipag-away tuloy. Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess, di ka nya gets but then again, what did you expect? (actually yung theory ko, gay sya...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah...which kinda scary kasi 'di ba kelangan matalino ka para maging doktor? Kawawa naman yung mga patients. Guh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to say that I agree with him with the "If I was a boy" song. I love it, the message of a strong woman etc, but....actually it should not be limited to men at all. If anyone but Ms. Beyonce sings that they really are setting themselves up. I don't think it's a "gay" thing, but it does set them up for ridicule. That is a hard song to sing at the best of times, and when sung by a completely inept person trying to personify a "strong woman" figure by copying Beyonce, though cool, should also look to her (or his) individuality to achieve it. Beyonce has balls, and sings such powerful songs with a voice that kicks ass and fortunately for her, sells. That's why she's strong....I guess?

    I'm also guessing that the term "gay" this person uses is based on what is usually seen here in Manila. Unfortunately, there really are gays here in the Philippines who think the way they're supposed to act is aggressive to the point of annoyance. That that way of acting is "cute" because "bakla ako". I'm not saying ALL are like that, but there are A LOT. Even those who are usually mild mannered and very intelligent, can succumb to such lows.

    I also am not trying to say one is better than the other nor am I here to preach, but just like those women out there who make themselves look trashy, I believe that they want a certain reaction to that. Most of the time though, the reaction isn't the one they want.

    I'm merely musing and giving my 2 cents in this dicussion. :) Interesting eh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It depends on the whole sentence. "She plays the piano better than he [does]" is correct because "he" would be subject in a full sentence. But: "She likes me better than [she likes] him."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Which leads to how that term is used. While the literal translation of bakla is gay, the usage is different. I actually wrote a paper on this, LOL! That's why I'm a little hesitant to get into the semantics of the whole thing, because it involves too many elements. The debate is as tricky as the one involving the "N-word."

    Only this: He used "gay" as an element to his derogatory assessment of the piece of music. I don't care what he thinks about Beyonce. It's his usage of the term "gay" that bothers me. Your point though that his milieu has dictated upon what he thinks that word means has merit, and I grant him that. (And perhaps that's why there can be no real debate between us because we're not starting from the same vantage point -- thank God, dahil ayoko shang maging ka-level.) But I would also put forward other individuals who also live/d in that same society who think otherwise. (*ehem* Like us, LOL! OK, ibababa ko na 'tong bangko, mabigat e...)Perhaps that's why I expect more of my fellow Filipinos, because I know we are capable of transcending the confines of our at-times-makitid society.

    He claims that that review was his attempt to be "witty" and "sardonic" and whatever -- I'll give him that. I'd say he was unsuccessful, but hey, that's my review of his review ;-).

    He also called me sensitive. Yes, I am. Proudly so. If the choice were between being sensitive and being insensitive, then I choose the former. ;-)

    At the end of the day, I don't want to forge a lasting relationship with him, so I'll leave it at that. Like I said, I couldn't NOT say anything. :-| But at least it's starting a nice conversation here, among my contacts. Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go, Ulla! :-) That link I provided has a whole bunch of other examples and explanations for what you just said. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm too old(-fashioned), I think. I never understand why people bother to find and put links when they/I can explain the whole shebang in 30 seconds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whereas I'm too lazy, LOL! But honestly though, I like how Grammar Girl explains things. I am such a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dictated, no. Determined up to a certain point/age, yes. That he has never tried to think for himself or to be more understanding of his fellow humans is his [beep]ing choice!
    And then those implications that merely listening to a song may confuse young people as to their sexual identity. One wonders if that guy isn't one of those who loves to hate the gay because speculating on their activities gives him a hard-on.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes. And quite apart from his being derogatory to the gay, he doesn't give me (I don't know Beyonce) the faintest impression of what the music is like - which makes his review lousy as review.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, yes - you know those links already, I guess. I couldn't find a link to anything in less than 15 minutes (and I'd have to be lucky), and then I'd have more trouble making it a link than writing my own explanation. Old(-fashioned).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahaha. Read the article. He's probably just trying to be funny and isn't seriously pondering on the issue. Just another product of the irresponsible atmosphere of www.

    Though yes, no doubt, he should have been more sensitive.

    PS The I'm-just-a-straight-guy-who-finds-the-product-too-gay excuse is just as silly as "Nah, I'm just a white guy who finds Beyonce too black for me."

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Too true. And speaking of "too gay" -- what's up with his profile pic? But hey, that's just me buying into his notion of what "gay" is. :p

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perhaps he thinks his naked shoulders appeal to women. Personally, I don't need to dig out my Lesbian traits in order to be unimpressed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Grabe, ang laki na siguro ng ulo ng %#$^!#@ inang lalaking yan dahil sa discussion nyong ito. Ako, may LSS lang naman. "All the single ladies! All the single ladies!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. He doesn't have access to this thread. ;-)

    ReplyDelete