Today, I opened my very first bank account here in the US - my first checking account ever. I know, I know. I'm 26 and this should've happened sooner. I got my first credit card ever just a month ago and it's not even really mine. I mean, it's under my name, but it's really just an extension of my Mom's card. But this checking account thing is all mine.
You see, I'm afraid of money. I love money, but I'm afraid of it. So much so that when it's with me, I tend to get rid of it - and get pretty little things in its place. Having this power scares me. It's a good thing I hardly ever go out as it is, but I really am scared I'll buy the entire TV shopping network and let them all toothy salespeople have early retirements.
During my last months in the Philippines, I didn't even have a bank account of my own. I like keeping things liquid because I'm quirky that way. And I'm a complete mathematical disappointment. I really can't make heads nor tails of any of those balancing thingamajiggies. My having remembered how much something costs is actually a great victory.
But, here I am. I am ready to face the Adult World and all of its Adult-ish requirements. I mean, I am getting married in 3 months (gasp! 3 months!!!) and in the list of Adult-ish requirements, I'm pretty sure that's near the top.
God. A credit card and a check book. Lord have mercy.
Just remember, Adult World, I come in peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment