It comes slowly, like cascading raindrops on a downward race to the rubber lining of a car window on a rainy day.
Sometimes the pace is slow, like during a light drizzle. Sometimes, like today, the descent is a bit fast, like during a stormy day. Like today.
Maybe the posted pictures are making it a bit more difficult today. Or maybe it's the day that was (Father's Day was yesterday). Or maybe...
...it's that the past few days were stormy. Cold. Wet. Like early spring in Grand Rapids, when the rains wash away the last bits of snow, when the few brave tulips start making their presence felt.
For reasons known to some, I can't necessarily say that where I am living right now is home. So now, more than ever, when I say "home", I actually mean Grand Rapids. When I was there, I was so busy wanting to go back home, meaning here in Manila, only to realize that unbeknownst to me, I was surreptitiously creating bonds, setting down my roots, such that Grand Rapids has come to mean home to me now.
I can still remember the smells of the trees, the potholes that I needed to avoid as I drove to the nearby D&W, which stoplights to take along on Cherry Street to go to campus.
Of course, "home" is where Chad and Lucia are. "Home" right now then would be our room, our haven in the midst of the toxicity that is the structure in which we currently live.
But home. Home. Capital H, Home...
Who knew I left my heart in Grand Rapids? I certainly didn't. But there it is. At least for today.
------
Happy Father's Day to my two favorite men.
Papa, you are the first man I ever loved. And though you think you could've done better, I have no doubt that you carried out God's plan for me and my brothers in the best possible way you can. Almost everything I know, I learned from you. I live my life so that you and Mama can be proud of me! :)
And to Chaddy, thank you for being an even better father than I thought you would ever be. You are my and Lucia's rock and we draw strength from you. Thank you for providing for us and for keeping us safe. When you are around, we know that all will be well. Thank you for being my Lord's Intended.
No comments:
Post a Comment