I believe in Music.
And I believe that sometimes, there is no line that separates the two.
I believe in Humor.
I believe in Truth.
I believe in Surprise.
And that there is nothing more surprising than the truth, which is why what is funny is often true.*
I believe in Laughter.
I believe in Sadness.
I believe in Tears.
And so laughter leads to tears leads to sadness leads to tears leads to...happiness.
I believe in the Course of Things.
I believe in the Non-Accidents.
And so, accidentally, I am on the course towards Greater Things.
I believe in Kisses.
I believe in Hand Holding.
And so there is an eternity in a kiss, held together by hands (that kiss).
I believe in Dancing.
I believe in Stillness.
I believe in the graceful dance that comes from being still.
I believe in Weaknesses.
I believe in Forgiveness.
I believe in the strength of the weak, and the strength of the weak to still forgive...those who are stronger.
I believe in Secrets.
I believe in Memories.
I believe in Promises.
I believe in the power of memories to forget secrets, the power of promises to remember, the power of secrets to promise.
I believe in Beauty.
I believe in Ugliness.
And the ability of ugly to be beautiful, and beautiful to be ugly.
I believe in My Daughter's Smile.
I believe in God.
And God's existence in my daughter's smile.
I believe in Futility.
I believe in Possibility.
I believe in Dreaming.
For neither shall affect my capacity, my choice, to keep believing.
I believe because I can.
I believe because I should.
I believe because of the absurdity of believing.
I believe because it is absurd.
Unicorns, dragons, windmills, crimson hot air balloons that magically appear in cloudy skies.
Leprechauns, angels, demons, fairies, nymphs, and wind spirits.
God's redemption.
God's salvation.
God's constancy.
God's mystery.
| Tattoo is a gift from a friend (for it really was a true gift), after hearing my story. |
Because I should.
And so I will.
* Paraphrased from Bill Watterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbes.
No comments:
Post a Comment