Her name was Ansky. Was Ansky. I still can't believe that I have to use the past tense now. She still seems so alive to me. Only a few days ago, I even mentioned her in passing. She was always saying something funny (like inventing yet another catchphrase), doing something remarkably atrocious (like adopting a small buko that had started to grow a teeny-tiny tree), or laughing in her vintage Ansky fashion - one part chuckle and ten parts gigantic guffaw. It would be easy to chuck it up to Ansky being quirky, but really, it was just Ansky looking at the world in a way no one else could.
One time, she and I were drinking, just she and I. For those of you who know her, you know that this is dangerous (because chances are, you'd die of alcohol poisoning before you even leave a dent on her), but for one reason or another, she and I took Mr. Tanduay by the neck, and conquered that MF like there was no tomorrow. After reaching that state when tipsy giggles turned into long, philosophical (or so we thought) silences, I looked at her and said, "Ansky! Finally! Gets na kita!" She looked at me, and smiled. *Long, philosophical (or so we though) pause.* And then she said, "Ano 'kamo?"
Hay, Ansky.
In Puerta Galera, on the eve of that ever famous Horizon Conversation, she, TG, and I shared one of the most eventful nights I've ever had to date. I will reserve that story for those who were there and those who knew the stories of that wacky week, but as annoyed as I was at that time because of what she did - my, what I would give to stay up the whole night washing all my clothes again (you had to be there).
To meet Ansky is to be her friend forever (as Sanrio as that may sound...) because she is just that kind of person. If you don't believe me, ask the rest of the GSM, my college barkada. This is our first really big loss. This will not be easy for any of us. But my heart goes out especially to her family and to her closest friends, the Buko Benchers (God, I haven't used that term in years!) who, I am sure, are feeling the pain of her loss the most.
I hate that I'm so far away. I wish I could be there. This just sucks, big time.
Damn you, Ansky. Bad trip ka, Chief. I'll miss you.
"Eh, 'kako..."
ReplyDelete"Eh, 'kamo..."
ReplyDeleteholy cow, that ano kamo reaction is so her. was so her. hay, bad trip.
ReplyDeletePuerto Galera 2001. March 15. We went there ten days before graduation.
ReplyDeleteYou guys, if only I could hug you all from here! Kelangan ng masinsinang inuman 'to. Oddly enough, I think that's what Ansky would have wanted.
ReplyDeleteGah. I'm going to cry again!!!
On the same note, it was over downed bottles of SML or Tanduay that I got to know the woman who gave us a new perspective on horizons... I'm sure everyone will agree to that. So a toast:
ReplyDeleteAnsky, para sa horizon na hinanap nating lahat at iyo nang mararating ngayon...
Cheers!
Cheers. :-(
ReplyDeleteCheers!
ReplyDelete