I have a class this semester that is driving me nuts. Theoretically, it sounds super. It's called Teaching Writing, and we talk about the different strategies to effectively teach our students to write well. Nice, diba? The problem is, my classmates are idiots. OK, not all of them are idiots. Some of them are just lazy buffoons and I have no idea why they're even teaching.
Breathe. Breathe. I'm resorting to name calling, I know this. Must. Be. Rational. Must qualify these angry feelings with logical reasons. (Must. Stop. Talking. Like Captain Kirk.)
So anyway, unlike my other Educ and Lit classes, all my classmates here are also English teachers. I had high hopes that I would engage in lively debates and discussions regarding the different paradigms we adopt in our classrooms. But alas -- oh, alack! -- my classmates are
OK, OK, back to the story: Our professor gave us a bunch of sentences to look over. The sentences were from past New York Times articles. Apparently, some of those sentences had not-so-obvious errors, and they were able to make it to the published version of the newspaper. Our task, then, was to spot those errors and correct them. (Yes, I will post those sentences in another blog post. Maybe tomorrow.) English nerds like me just love this stuff, so I pounced on those sentences with glee.
After going through those sentences on our own, we all discussed the changes we made. One of the sentences was this one:
She said that the jury had been told the principle purpose of the enterprise, as the indictment charged, was to generate money for the detectives, through legal and illegal activities.
The error in the sentence was the word "principle" -- instead, it should have been "principAL." We went on to the next sentence...when all of a sudden, one of my classmates (henceforth called she-who-started-it-all) said,
"Wait. There was nothing wrong in that sentence!"
"I know! I think there's an error with the error," said another classmate (who thought she was being oh-so-witty -- OK, I shall stop with the sarcastic name calling...).
*Mild laughter from the class.*
"No, it really should be 'principal' -- with an 'A-L,' " said the teacher.
"But they weren't even talking about a school, so how could there be a principal?" said she-who-started-it-all.
***At this point, I would like to pause to eject expletives off air. Cue the elevator music.***
Dude, pare, chong naman o...Grabe, diba??? Diba? DIBA?
"Principle is like a belief, like you what you believe in," my teacher said calmly. (Really, I didn't know how she remained so calm. I'd be sputtering my words in disbelief at this point.)
"Yeah, but principal is like, the head of the school!" said another classmate.
ANUBAAAAAH. PANGINOON, KUNIN N'YO NA PO AKO!!!
At that point, I calmly (I swear, I tried to be calm, even my seatmate, who knew how pissed I was, said she was impressed) said, "Principal means lead, head, or foremost. That's why the principal is called the principal, because he or she is the head of the school."
"Oh, I didn't know that," said she-who-started-it-all. "Well aren't you a Ms. Snooty Know-It-All?" she said half-jokingly. (See, she started with the name calling...)
*More laughter from the class.*
Breathe, just breathe. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...Oh screw it.
It's no use...here it is, folks. Brace yourselves:
No, I wasn't being snooty. I was being frikken' CORRECT. I refuse to feel bad because I was correct. I didn't tell you that you were a dumb broad and that you shouldn't be in a classroom -- although I should have. well, maybe not in those terms -- so don't call me snooty, biatch. Who do you think you are??? Why am I being called out for something that we should know! We're English teachers for crying out loud! I'd understand if there were, I dunno, Math teachers in the room. (But I'm willing to bet that my other Math teacher friends would know the difference anyway.) But this...THIS?!?! It's not like pondering on the exact value of mfing pi!!! (Wait, does such a value exist? I dunno, I'm not a Math teacher...which brings me to my point...GAAAAAH!!!)
I can't believe that people like you teach!!! And I can't believe that I was in a room full of English teachers and not a single person backed me up!!! Didn't anybody else know of this??? Am I -- the minority, the one who did not grow up in America, the one whose first language is NOT English -- am I the only one who knew this???
The fact that you are teaching and my husband cannnot is beyond unfair!!! My husband is far more intelligent, compassionate, and appreciative of our vocations as teachers!!! And he can't teach because he has no papers, but YOU can??? You awful, turdish, ludicrous woman!!! We've been in this country for so long and we can't find work because people like you are the ones these schools prefer??? ARE YOU FRIKKEN' KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!
My friends (McCain mode...), I apologize for my tirade. And no, I didn't say these things to her. I just tried to swallow my anger as best I could, and proceeded to yell in the car, on the way home.
But as you can see, this goes beyond her idiocy. I am angry at what she represents: I am angry at the school system, I am angry at the fact that my poor husband has been out of work all this time because of this. THIS. THIS.
I miss home. I miss my school. I miss my co-workers. I miss the gazebo. I miss my friends. I miss my friends in the gazebo who would understand my frustration and not think that I was overreacting (well, maybe they would, but they know that's how I am and they'll love me anyway). I miss my girl friends who would share my frustration, who would see that this is pain speaking, not anger. This is the pain that comes from seeing my husband being rejected over, and over, and over again because no school wants to sponsor him ("We can't at this time." BOVINE POOP.) This the pain that comes from him feeling bad when it's really not his fault. This is the pain that comes from seeing him trying to keep it together for me. And this is the pain that comes from trying to keep it together for him.
Peace out, folks. I'm too upset to close this rant with a witty remark. I'm spent. Don't worry, I'll feel better tomorrow. I just needed to let it out.
"Principle is like a belief, like you what you believe in," my teacher said calmly. (Really, I didn't know how she remained so calm. I'd be sputtering my words in disbelief at this point.)
"Yeah, but principal is like, the head of the school!" said another classmate.
ANUBAAAAAH. PANGINOON, KUNIN N'YO NA PO AKO!!!
At that point, I calmly (I swear, I tried to be calm, even my seatmate, who knew how pissed I was, said she was impressed) said, "Principal means lead, head, or foremost. That's why the principal is called the principal, because he or she is the head of the school."
"Oh, I didn't know that," said she-who-started-it-all. "Well aren't you a Ms. Snooty Know-It-All?" she said half-jokingly. (See, she started with the name calling...)
*More laughter from the class.*
Breathe, just breathe. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...Oh screw it.
It's no use...here it is, folks. Brace yourselves:
No, I wasn't being snooty. I was being frikken' CORRECT. I refuse to feel bad because I was correct. I didn't tell you that you were a dumb broad and that you shouldn't be in a classroom -- although I should have. well, maybe not in those terms -- so don't call me snooty, biatch. Who do you think you are??? Why am I being called out for something that we should know! We're English teachers for crying out loud! I'd understand if there were, I dunno, Math teachers in the room. (But I'm willing to bet that my other Math teacher friends would know the difference anyway.) But this...THIS?!?! It's not like pondering on the exact value of mfing pi!!! (Wait, does such a value exist? I dunno, I'm not a Math teacher...which brings me to my point...GAAAAAH!!!)
I can't believe that people like you teach!!! And I can't believe that I was in a room full of English teachers and not a single person backed me up!!! Didn't anybody else know of this??? Am I -- the minority, the one who did not grow up in America, the one whose first language is NOT English -- am I the only one who knew this???
The fact that you are teaching and my husband cannnot is beyond unfair!!! My husband is far more intelligent, compassionate, and appreciative of our vocations as teachers!!! And he can't teach because he has no papers, but YOU can??? You awful, turdish, ludicrous woman!!! We've been in this country for so long and we can't find work because people like you are the ones these schools prefer??? ARE YOU FRIKKEN' KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?!
My friends (McCain mode...), I apologize for my tirade. And no, I didn't say these things to her. I just tried to swallow my anger as best I could, and proceeded to yell in the car, on the way home.
But as you can see, this goes beyond her idiocy. I am angry at what she represents: I am angry at the school system, I am angry at the fact that my poor husband has been out of work all this time because of this. THIS. THIS.
I miss home. I miss my school. I miss my co-workers. I miss the gazebo. I miss my friends. I miss my friends in the gazebo who would understand my frustration and not think that I was overreacting (well, maybe they would, but they know that's how I am and they'll love me anyway). I miss my girl friends who would share my frustration, who would see that this is pain speaking, not anger. This is the pain that comes from seeing my husband being rejected over, and over, and over again because no school wants to sponsor him ("We can't at this time." BOVINE POOP.) This the pain that comes from him feeling bad when it's really not his fault. This is the pain that comes from seeing him trying to keep it together for me. And this is the pain that comes from trying to keep it together for him.
Peace out, folks. I'm too upset to close this rant with a witty remark. I'm spent. Don't worry, I'll feel better tomorrow. I just needed to let it out.
I AM SO SORRY:
ReplyDeleteI AM SO SORRY that
ReplyDelete- you had to go through that experience (I wouldn't have been able to control myself, talaga - Good job!),
- you and Chad have to go through all of this crap (Ask if he really wants to be part of a system that produces dolts like the ones in your class),
- we are every where and we can't come together in the gazebo to talk.
It'll be all right, Katz. Promise. Think telenobela...magiging wagi din kayong lahat! (at mamamatay din sila, or di kaya makukulong...)
i'm disappointed that you didn't speak out loud. ha-ha-ha! ;) congrats on controlling yourself! anyway, i hope chad gets his big break soon. =)
ReplyDeleteW.O.W
ReplyDeleteHow come such English teachers existed? I'm surprised. Good point :) ahaha XD
Congrats on the temper control. Just a tip though, don't work here in the Philippines. hehehe! That's me everyday :D
ReplyDeleteAs for idiots....well, I don't want to speak ill of my countrymen who have taken up that vocation here, but.....a few years ago when my littlest nephews were still in grade school, one of them had failed his language / English final exam in the Italian nunnery of a school he went to. WHY? Because his answer to "what superlatives go after the word 'good'"? He answered "better" and "best". We asked the teacher why that marked wrong and she showed us the book / teacher's guide saying that the right answers were "gooder" and "goodest". AYUS. You're not alone.
Sana, dinuraan mo siya. Ang kapal ng mukha.
ReplyDeleteTama ka, kahit Pinoy teacher, makikitang mali 'yun. And I'm not referring to me. I'm referring to every non-English speaking Pinoy teacher in our school.
Sila ang malas if they don't get Chad or you to teach in their schools...
tsk...tsk. Napaka violent mo, pre.
ReplyDeleteKatz, think of them as special english na lang. hahaha. baka mamahal mo pa sya.
siyempre, natawa ako sa part about "math teachers"! pero tama ka, alam namin yan kasi ginagamit namin ang word na principal sa investment problems!
ReplyDeletehay naku, katz, i have come to realize that there are simply too many idiots in the world. and don't you think they are also the ones who have bad attitudes and personalities? hmmm. pero, ang mantra nga namin ni carol, "just give people time. eventually, they will impress you." minsan nga lang, ang TAAAGGAAAAAALLLLLL...
Tumpak si Ri, dyan.
ReplyDeleteextra challenge syang gawin pero worth it naman kahit, as Ria would say, no ANG TAAAAGGGGAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLL-TAAAGGGGGGGAAAAAAALLLLLLL. (if there were still enough space, I'll add more Gs and As and Ls....hehehe)
Dapat kasi hindi mo na pinigilan yung tawa mo sa una. I would have laughed-while-pretending-to-not-laugh-so-that-it-comes-out-a-fart-sounding-laugh! e di sana nag enjoy ka pa.
ReplyDeleteso you don't feel so bad, joke time muna:
teacher: Have you ever tried wall-climbing?
student: Yes miss! I ever climb!
Sadly, hindi yun joke. Pero at least, hindi lumaki ang mga studyante kong nagsasalita ng inggles...
Sobrang ganyan ka talaga Pips. That's how you cover your laugh...but it doesn't get disguised kasi it comes out in one big burst after some little spurts! Hahahaha!
ReplyDeletehahahaha! i'll try to be patient on my end as well. ;-)
ReplyDeletea least double purpose. naduraan ko na rin sya diba? just as ron suggests. ;-)
ReplyDeleteha-ha! Galing, pipa!
ReplyDeleteI bet hindi kayang humirit ng ganyan ng kaklase ni katz.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hay, salamat. Ang sarap-sarap basahin ng mga comment ninyo. Especially after not being able to sleep so well -- I kept thinking of all the stuff I wish I had said. Pa-iba-iba pa nga e, yung iba polite, yung iba, pang-jologs talaga. Ayoko na. I don't want to waste my time on her anymore. :p
ReplyDeleteAims, thank you for your anecdote. It made me feel gooder. Mwehehe. *Fart sounding laughter from pursed lips.*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hay, salamat. Ang sarap-sarap basahin ng mga,/i> comments ninyo. Especially after not being able to sleep so well -- I kept thinking of all the stuff I wish I had said. Pa-iba-iba pa nga e, yung iba polite, yung iba, pang-jologs talaga. Ayoko na. I don't want to waste my time on her anymore. :p
ReplyDeleteAims, thank you for your anecdote. It made me feel gooder. Mwehehe. *Fart sounding laughter from pursed lips.*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hay, salamat. Ang sarap-sarap basahin ng mga comment ninyo. Especially after not being able to sleep so well -- I kept thinking of all the stuff I wish I had said. Pa-iba-iba pa nga e, yung iba polite, yung iba, pang-jologs talaga. Ayoko na. I don't want to waste my time on her anymore. :p
ReplyDeleteAims, thank you for your anecdote. It made me feel gooder. Mwehehe. *Fart sounding laughter from pursed lips.*
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hay, salamat. Ang sarap-sarap basahin ng mga comments ninyo. Especially after not being able to sleep so well -- I kept thinking of all the stuff I wish I had said. Pa-iba-iba pa nga e, yung iba polite, yung iba, pang-jologs talaga. Ayoko na. I don't want to waste my time on her anymore. :p
ReplyDeleteAims, thank you for your anecdote. It made me feel gooder. Mwehehe. *Fart sounding laughter from pursed lips.*
It almost made my day that you said that, then I realized you had TOO MUCH self-control. I hate you.
ReplyDeleteAhahaha! Jo...what have I become? My balls have shrunk in my old age. Hyuk-hyuk. Wah.
ReplyDeletesooo this is why you commented on my toleration/tolerance mistake. hahaha.
ReplyDeletegrabe naman yan, nakakahiya. i admire your patience, but it wouldve been a fun all-out filipino-kano war scene. haha, kidding. chillaks lang, ma'am :)
Pareho tayo. =))
ReplyDeletedyeisi saidi admire your patience
ReplyDeleteComing from you, a former student, that means a lot. I never would've thought a student would say that! Haha! Goodness knows I've blown my top too many times. :P
(Capitalize your "I" -- hahahaha! Kidding. *wink-wink*)
robocap73 saidPareho tayo. =))
Wrinkles kasi e...hirap na. Hahahaha!
Hay Katz grabe. Alam mo ba, meron kaming Project Manager dito na nagtext na sick leave sya, he was bummiting daw... Ano kamo? Vomitting pala! Pano kaya sila nakapasa ng high school?!?
ReplyDeleteLove your blog, as always. Parang gusto ko syang sapatusin?! (stupid girl!) Feel na feel ko frustration mo. Isipin mo na lang na such people and such moments inspire you to write very interesting blogs...hahaha. Pampalubag loob.
ReplyDeleteedlyndg saidhe was bummiting daw... Ano kamo? Vomitting pala!
ReplyDeleteWah. Natawa ako, tapos naiyak...HAYYYYY...
nanoodp saidIsipin mo na lang na such people and such moments inspire you to write very interesting blogs...hahaha. Pampalubag loob.
Actually! Buti na lang mejo funny ako magalit, hehehe.
Jeez!! I think that class should have begun with the difference between nouns and adjectives.
ReplyDeleteI'm not surprised; the American educational system was NOT admired in Europe when I lived there. Our general feeling was that they get through high school - and some universities too - on multiple choices and baseball. It's probably better where you come from.
I don't think you should have controlled yourself - and the teacher should have told that dumbass to shut the [beep] up until she knew what she was talking about - which will be never.
Sadly, this is mostly because of the Bush administration's thrust on standardization. Any teacher (worth his or her salt, that is) would tell you that this is not the best, most accurate, nor most authentic measure of student success at all.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure all the other disciplines would have their arguments, but English is such an organic subject. Measuring skills solely on standardized tests simply does not make sense.
I'm sorry, but I've heard that since my own high school days, and that was 1970-73 - don't blame it on Bush.
ReplyDeleteDanish universities did not accept an American high school graduate without supplementary courses and test - back in the '70es when they had plenty of room. It's not a matter of grades or how they were graded - they simply didn't learn enough well enough.
In this particular case, a standardized text book and test - in my country and generation belonging to at the very latest 7th grade - would have taught that brain dead bitch what she needed to know.
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid it's the other way around: too much blabbering of how do you feel about Emily Dickinson and far too little exact knowledge.
I guess then the questions would be: What are those standards and who gets to make them?
ReplyDeleteLove the "brain dead bitch" title. :-)
It can't honestly be necessary to write new grammar books! My little niece has one the bdb can borrow. Sheesh!!!
ReplyDeleteullangoo saidI'm sorry, but I've heard that since my own high school days, and that was 1970-73 - don't blame it on Bush.
ReplyDeleteWell, I'm no expert when it comes to that point in time, but Bush's administration majorly screwed up the educational system with the implementation of NCLB (No Child Left Behind.) So if the system was bad to begin with, that's that, but Bush definitely messed it up in such a way that most American kids now have a harder time in the global arena.
America should take the lead from other countries whose educational systems are doing well. (This vaguely reminds me of another post I made ages ago though, when I got mad at Oprah. LOL.)
ullangoo saidIn this particular case, a standardized text book and test - in my country and generation belonging to at the very latest 7th grade - would have taught that brain dead bitch what she needed to know.
I guess then the questions would be: What are those standards and who gets to make them?
Love the "brain dead bitch" title. :-)
ullangoo saidI'm afraid it's the other way around: too much blabbering of how do you feel about Emily Dickinson and far too little exact knowledge.
I would contend, though, that this has its own merits, provided that (a) classes be led by a capable teacher who won't allow the sharing of insights and learnings to be reduced to "blabbering" and (b) that the age/cognitive level of the students would be just-so, to prevent worthwhile discussions from being "blabber."
Blabber, no. Meaningful discussions (whether they be of feelings, insights, whatever), yes.
But yeah, I sort of don't like Dickinson. Faulkner, now that's another, er, story. ;-)
Of course it has. It's not an either-or, it's a both-and - or should be. But I mean: make sure they understand the structure of a normal sentence before you ask them how they feel about a particular unusual word order or whatever. Or simultaneously, if possible (read: if the teacher is good enough).
ReplyDeleteI'm not fond of Dickinson either - I just know she's popular over there.
I believe you, but the bdb can't have gone to school under Bush since she's already a teacher now. Most of her school years, if not all, must have been before the screwing-up.
ReplyDeleteOK, I just got what you meant by "bdb!" Hahahaha!
ReplyDeleteYou have a point there.
I just read this. To be honest, though, I'm not one bit surprised about how clueless some (or most ;P) of them are. I was, however, very much surprised that you didn't tell her off right there and then. ;P I doubt that's really about shrinking balls from old age. I think it's more about maturity and knowing that you don't need to stoop to their level just to prove a point. ;)
ReplyDeleteShe should have been told that knowing and sharing facts have nothing to do with being snooty. Plus that there's a reason why God has given her two ears and only one mouth. She's ruining the class, for Pete's sake!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Thanks, Elps! :-*
ReplyDelete