Sunday, September 19, 2010

15 Films

Oh, dear. I hate that I'm limited to just 15 films!

Since the instructions say that I should limit myself to films that will "stick" with me, I picked the movies mostly for emotional reasons.

Interestingly enough, I didn't pick any "art films", as my husband calls them (i.e. films that make him either sleep, roll his eyes, or say, "This is depressing!"). There are a few indie films, but he also enjoyed those, so they aren't quite as "artsy" as say, Clockwork Orange. Haha!



I just realized though, most of the films help me remember that, profoundly and simply, there really is joy in life. :)

Do click on the hyperlinks to find out more about the movies.

(This is a Facebook meme, hence the tagging instructions, by the way.)



..o..

The rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen films you've seen that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what films my friends choose. (To do this, go to your Notes tab on your profile page, paste rules in a new note, cast your fifteen picks, and tag people in the note)


1)  Little Mermaid

I mean, come on. I remember watching this for the first time and falling in love with all the songs! I loved it so much, I was willing to forget the original version of the story (cruel Hans Christian Anderson, how could you let her turn into sea foam?!?).

Seriously, don't you memorize all of the songs as well? ;)

2)  Princess Bride

Speaking of memorizing...I know every punchline (verbal AND nonverbal), scene marker, interruption (when Fred Savage and his Grandpa talk about the story), and music intro.

I. LURVE. THIS. MOVIE.

As a rule, I'm a pretty feisty and independent individual. But Wesley reminds me of Chaddy, and only with him do I really melt like Butter...cup. Hehehe.

3)  Love Actually

I don't know why, but this movie still makes me laugh, cry, swoon at the same parts ALL THE TIME. I love all the little stories in the movie (but I'm especially fond of the one with Hugh Grant because I totally resonate with Natalie, the chubby girl. I mean, "have you seen the thighs" on this one? ;p)

4)  Chasing Amy

Moment of silence for Kevin Smith.

Okay, so I know he's known for his low-brow humor but he really is so much more than just Jay and Silent Bob. I've been a fan since Mallrats, I suppose. Chasing Amy, however, was a little different. I do encourage you to watch it though to get a glimpse of a thoroughly unconventional definition of love. As some of you know, I've had my fair share of unconventional, well, everything.

5)  Pulp Fiction

I was supposed to write Mulholland Drive, but really, Pulp Fiction was the first movie that totally twisted my brain into knots. I watched it and instantly loved it because finally, here was a movie that mimicked how wickedly disjointed my thought processes were. Hehe.

6)  Cidade de Deus (City of God)

I watched this movie without really knowing what it was about, only that it was supposed to have had these great reviews. It was violent and harsh and ugly and then, all of a sudden, beautiful.

That such a person could emerge from that kind of environment is beyond inspirational.

7)  The Usual Suspects

Moment of silence for Kaiser Soze! (And yet another moment, because, you know, he might be here. We can't know for sure, so we better just do it, you know, just to be safe.)

Okay, that ending? With the walk? Seriously? That's all I'm going to say about this movie.

Oh, and Kevin Spacey, I love you.

8)  Lars and the Real Girl

This was such a sweet and simple and little movie. It's a little bizarre (yes, bordering on what Chaddy might call artsy fartsy), but it really is just a movie about a special man's great love for a, um, mannequin (technically, it was something much more than just that though, but I'm keeping this GP) and how everyone around him loves him even more than that.

9)  Sound of Music
Because I wanted a yaya like Maria.

Because I wanted to be like Maria.

Because I wanted Liesl's dress.

Because I like raindrops on roses and...you know the rest.

Because I come from a totally Von Trapp-esque family.

Because – and I especially realized this as I was walking down the aisle, listening to the song, getting ready to marry the man of my dreams – "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good".

10) Y Tu Mamá También (And Your Mother, Too)
This was uncomfortable to watch at first because I watched this with my Dad – can you imagine watching that first scene with your parent? But as the story unfolded, it totally took my breath away. Everything – from the story to the storytelling to the storytellers – was perfect.

And hello? Gael Garcia Bernal, I am yours.

11) Rear Window

I watched this for one of my many film classes in college. Imagine a room full of annoying and haughty film majors in the dark, watching with bated breath. And when THAT scene came up, the one with the murderer finally realizing he was being watched, we all screamed. Like little baby girls. It was fantastic to bask in unadulterated Hitchcockian genius.

I watched it again since that time and it still gives me goosebumps. Hell, everything Hitchcock made gives me goosebumps.

12) The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

This one REALLY reminds me of my childhood. It's basically the story behind a bunch of adventures of, well, Baron Munchausen, but I love the whole it's-bedtime-are-you-ready-for-a-story vibe of the movie. Baron Munchausen was definitely a citizen of Katzland. :)

13) Stranger Than Fiction

Love, love, love this movie, again for its simplicity and truthfulness about the human condition. That it was funny or sad or just blah in portions only make it even more authentic. At least for me, because sometimes, I really do imagine that someone is narrating my life as it unfolds, haha! Will Ferrel is also amazing in this "serious" role.

14) Up

Okay, those first few minutes? Yeah. I don't even want to talk about it. I might cry.

*sniff*

15) Once

If Lars and the Real Girl was a little movie, this was an even littler movie that could and did and how. Again, the story is quite simple (aha, a pattern emerges and is established): boy meets girl, they fall in love, but they don't quite end up together. What makes this movie amazing, however, is the soundtrack. Songs made by the two leads usher us into their minds and hearts as their near-romance plays out. Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, the lead actors and songwriters, won Oscars for their songs. :)

I'm sure as soon as I press publish, I'd think of other movies. (I haven't pressed it yet, but already I'm thinking Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, A Very Long Engagement...stop. I shall stop.) But here they are, the movies that stuck. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment