I've been anxious and dreading this day because it's simply too bittersweet. I'm having serious separation anxiety issues with Lucia's infancy, hehe. But my happiness and gratitude is overwhelming and far outweighs any silliness that is my inadequate mother-ness.
00.O.00
My beloved, do you have any idea how loved you are? How much joy you bring to every single person around you?
Your smile dispels any threat of sadness, fatigue, and self-doubt. Your raised arms brings such self-worth to me as you deem me worthy of being the bringer of comfort to you.
Your scrunched up face in glee, matched with your squeals of laughter, strengthens and breaks your Daddy's heart as he leaves for work. When you play hide-and-seek and peekaboo with Daddy, what you're really doing is tugging on his heartstrings and making joyous music.
When you sleep at night, may you dream dreams that are bigger than your wee toes. May you be surrounded by hope that is wider than your outstretched arms.
But what is bigger than your toes? For I feast on them constantly and still they are there. What is wider than your outstretched arms? For when you engulf me with your baby smells, you banish even the most ancient of hurts.
You are God's constant reminder that your Daddy and I are loved, blessed, and beautifully (humbly, happily, and proudly) unworthy of you and the promise of who you will be. We do not deserve his grace, but we shall live out the rest of our lives basking in the honor that we were chosen for you. Thank you for everything that you are and will be to us.
Thank you even for those years when Mommy cried when she thought she couldn't have you. Even those years have become more precious as they have become fodder for a gratitude that grows bigger as each day passes.
Daddy and I love you very much, Luciapet. Luciakins. Munchkinitoo. Happy birthday!
Amen!
ReplyDelete