Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homage

So I have new tattoos agan. :)

Most of my tattoos have chronicled my personal struggles and my attempt to overcome them. This morning, I got two new ones to pay homage to the people who have, time and time again, without fail, given me the strength to do that.

When I was a kid, whenever I'd get lost in the crowd, or whenever I'd lose sight of my parents, Papa and/or Mama would whistle this tune so that I'd be able to find them. Whenever Papa would come home from work or a concert, he'd whistle the tune as he walked through the door and then us kids would come to play (no matter how late it was). When we got older, and started living in Grand Rapids, Mama or Papa would whistle it, meaning it was time for dinner. (Being able to have dinner as a family was a treat because by that time, Papa could spend more time with us, having cut down the number of his engagements.) The tune would always make me feel like a kid again, safe in the home that my parents made for us. As my brother put it, it was like a homing beacon. My brother thought about tattooing the whistle on himself (and he already has), and I thought I'd do the same.

Also, I can't whistle. :P The permanence of this tattoo shall
hopefully make up for it. ;)
The other tattoo I got was a small daisy on my wrist. Mama planted a bunch of daisies outside our home office and she would look at it and it made her calm. I remember how attached she was to those flowers and since then, I've always thought of her whenever I see daisies. They're pure and dainty, but what I like most of all is how they open up when the sun's around and close up at night. They open up to absorb all that is good in the sun and then close up to protect themselves during the cold night. My mom's like that, see. She opens herself up to the sunshine, but in the darkest of nights, her instinct is always to protect.

I made it small, so my mom won't freak out so much, haha.
Love you, Ma. ;)
I put the whistle on my left arm, so that it is visible when I shield myself with that arm. That tune protects me, reminds me of what makes me strong. I put the daisy on my right pulse, to mirror the placement of my daughter's name on my left pulse. I like the idea that on my right is the woman I want to become, and on my left, the woman I am responsible for becoming.

It is difficult, especially since these last few months, to live so far away from my parents, my family. But the distance was nothing compared to how majestically they came to my rescue when I needed them most. I am who I am because of my family, and I pay tribute for all that they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment