Saturday, February 23, 2008

Forgiveness

"Racial harmony is less important than racial equity. Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we just have peace on earth? Why are 'those people' so angry? Here's what I've come up with. There can be no peace without justice. There can be no justice without equity. So if we want peace and harmony, all we have to do is provide equity. Who's ready?"

We were required to read Shifts of Consciousness for Well-Intentioned Liberals for class (adapted from Paul C. Gorski, Ed Change. More information here) for class. We had to write a short response to what we read, and this is what I wrote:

Of all the suggestions from our reading (there were 8 in all), the one I quoted above was the one that struck me the most. It got me thinking about the value of justice versus the value of mercy - of forgiveness.

Frankly, I am exhausted with all this racial introspection. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I don't want to talk about it anymore. I'm just saying that I'm tired because it is very emotionally taxing for me to keep scrutinizing who I am in terms of what my race is - and how that affects others whose race does not match mine. So yes, at this point, oversimplification sounds almost too tempting to refuse because there comes a point when my mind is just too punch-drunk to keep thinking of new ways to understand the problem and its accompanying almost-too-impossible-to-achieve solutions.

There is a lot of anger when we talk about racism - and rightfully so. It is difficult to let go of that anger especially since racism is still alive and well at this day and age. But...and I'm saying this as an attempt to oversimplify as well...what about forgiveness?

Yes, it's difficult to forgive years of oppression. Yes, it's difficult to forgive the people who believe there is nothing to forgive. But isn't that what forgiveness is about? Now that I've thought about it...maybe this oversimplification isn't so simple after all. Forgiveness is difficult and entails a lot of work. The ability to forgive is almost as difficult as admitting that one needs to be forgiven. But in the midst of all the finger-pointing, the one thing that keeps going in my mind is forgiveness. Is it difficult? Yes. Is it impossible? No. It shouldn't be.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just tired. Ask me again in a few days and I might be back in fighting form. But right now, forgiveness seems worth the effort.

"The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings.
But mercy is above this sceptered sway;
It is enthroned in the hearts of kings;
It is an attribute of God himself;
And earthly power doth then show like God's
When mercy seasons justice."
(Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice, 4.1.191-204)

2 comments:

  1. Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.

    Cherie Carter-Scott, "If Love Is a Game, These Are the Rules"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katz, want to joing Fr Danny Huang in his Multiply site? His user name is dphuang. Just introduce yourself. Being way over there, I think his posts will help you a lot emotionally and spiritually.

    ReplyDelete