I just want to pause and reflect, though, on how this is shaping up to be. There have been some very personal and rude attacks on her looks, her family, and goodness knows what else. Malu Fernandez anyone?
I suppose I can't totally fault the others for lashing out in pure infantile anger (those are the fantastic kinds in which to indulge, I might add...) I do so in the confines of my own personal space. Close friends and family know that I have turned anger-lashing into a veritable art form. (Seriously. Adjectives are God's gift to angry people.) But I always force myself to tread more carefully when it comes to cyberspace. I do this not because I entertain narcissistic notions that the world waits with bated breath for every entry I write here, but because I feel as if I have a responsibility towards the lilliputian portion of the internet audience who do come to my little space.
With that said, Rachelle ought to have been more responsible with her words. What she posed as scientific research was just one fallacious statement after another, and easily disprovable. For example: Not all homosexuals are sodomites. In fact, a good portion of heterosexuals practice sodomy. Not all serial killers are homosexuals. Hitler was straight as straight can be. (I think. We weren't close. But Hollywood has not told me otherwise...)
On one level, her entry annoys me because it wasn't intelligent enough to pose itself as a strong argument against homosexuality. On another, deeper, more personal, and more existential level, her entry shook me to the core, because she condemned some of the people I love the most to eternal damnation. I don't know any murderers personally, but I have trouble flat-out condemning them to hell. I'd like child pornographers to go there, but I know very well that it's not up to me. I've already said my piece about that though, and I would hate to be redundant (over and over, again and again, ad infinitum, so on and so forth...)
She is a person whose views are entirely different from mine, and her theology is not one that I share. She and I will never ever be friends (everrrrr). The only place I can imagine being with her is on the set of Jerry Springer (wait, the film in the morning, right? Make that in one of those late-night debate shows.)
Here it comes, though. The ubiquitous "but"...
She is but one person. Her views are her own. By insulting her looks, her family, her lifestyle, we become just like her. There is a certain justice in unleashing the same kind of vitriol-fueled insults on her, but really, by doing so, have we not actually contributed to her unfounded arguments against (and here comes the shudder whenever I hear the term...) "homos" (ick-ick-ick, shudder-shudder.) Yes, what she said was hurtful. Yes, you were only acting out of anger. I get that! I was hurt and angry, too. But go rant in front of your friends and family. Don't do it on cyberspace. This goes beyond Rachelle. This is symptomatic of something so much bigger. This is sooooo not about her. Our comments are helping shape our future! Do you really want to go down in history as the one who talked smack to the person who didn't know any better anyway? You do all realize that you're becoming just as bad as she is, right?
The mob mentality is a scary-scary-scary thing to watch as it unfolds.
Take the higher road. Stop bashing Rachelle. Disagree with her, but stop attacking her below the belt. That's just mean.
Now if you excuse me, this soap box is pretty high and I'm only 5 feet tall. I'd like to get off now. Don't anybody trip on that on your way out.
hi katz! We don't know each other but I saw your link in Rachelle's post and decided to read what you had to say.
ReplyDeleteI thoroughly agree with what you said- that though what she wrote shook you to the core (she also shook mine pretty bad too), people should not really lambast her about anything besides what she wrote. And YOU CAN WRITE. What you said here is really good and it compelled me to reply.
What I find particularly offensive though, is that she is particularly fond of "bible cutting"- taking scripture word per word and using it to preach a whole teaching. Maybe because I grew up in a very conservatively Catholic manner, I also know that the Bible should not be taken verbatim- scholars up to know are not even halfway done studying this influential text and she uses it as if she's Abraham's personal assistant.
Going back to what you said, people should really try to balance their comments about her. But then again, she should have been prepared when she posted this blog. Mob mentality is scary. I really hope she, along with everyone else, learns a thing or two with this whole screwed-up situation.
i feel you, as for me i actually stared at that thread for like 3-4 hours & observed how it progresses i kept myself from replyin in it but after a while i was sooo moved & got carried away with the other concerned readers i said some bad things aswell like she dropd her face eat dirt. but hey im all human & after i stated what i feel i erased my 3 replies for discretionary purposes. i really just want to speak out whats on my mind then. ive come to realize that its too lowlife to talkshit/trash talk to some1 who is sooo self absorbed by her beliefs.
ReplyDeletebtw from re-reading again her thread i still feel the same way about her call me sinner, i am a sinner who isnt right?
look at her she talks like shes GOD, i beleive in GOD & i know that he's real GOD still answers my prayers despite the lifestyle im having. u know what i mean.
she couldn't even stand for her own beliefs! GOD have mercy on her.
i'm actually guilty of attacking her personality, but you absolutely have a point. now, as much as i want to comment further on what you wrote, i can't. you've said everything :)
ReplyDeletefantastic writing skills you got there, by the way...
have a blessed day katz :)
You're right. Unfortunately, a lot of people resort to doing this. I personally prefer an exegetical analysis of scripture rather than outright you-should/shouldn't-do-this interpretation. Why use the Bible to condemn rather than to spread Jesus' love, right?
ReplyDeleteThanks for dropping by! :-)
LOL! Don't worry, I had to bite my tongue several times to keep from saying what I really wanted to say, so I hear ya. Thanks for dropping by and you have a fantastic day, too!
ReplyDeletei agree.
ReplyDeletebut truth be told, i'm somewhat insulted that her mentor, gomitch, seems to be answering everybody's reply to his posts except my own.
what gives?
if he wants a theological throw down i'll give it to him...
what they're doing is just wrong.
you're right that we should stick to the subject matter and not attack the person...
but, out of anger, our carnal instincts get the best of us.
i'd still like to give the both of them a thwack on the noggin, though.
I actually haven't been reading the other posts anymore. But I did read some of gomitch's comments and I did read Rachelle's reply (finally.) In the words of all other mature people who have before me, I say...
ReplyDelete"MEH."
LOL! Seriously though, I hope he does answer your questions sooner or later.
(I just wrote a wonderfully witty, snippy, and comically genius quip about your noggin thwacking, but I thought it better to practice what I preached and decided against publishing it here. Grrr. Damn you, moral fiber!!! Know though that I agree with the corporal punishment. I, too, am a big fan of spanking. And yes, I realize how that sounds and I'll fly with it. )
hey! i decided not to read rachelle's post...what for? it might me angry rin. hehe. i like being in my happy place. :)
ReplyDeletejust wanted to comment that as great as the internet is for making connections with different people around the world, it's sad how hate spreads just as fast online. people should have real life friends that they can bitch to without having to publish anything online or on print...and i love that malu fernandez comment. haha! oh well, some people handle experiences differently, and mistakes do happen. :)
Gee... And I thought I've heard just about every high-falluting vocabulary entry in the blogosphere and thereabouts. I actually ended up googling the meaning of exigetical (I got more definitive results though with "exegetical" and "exegesis" - go figure) lest I end up sleep-deprived over the notion that I might be one word short from being reliably Webster savvy, hehe...
ReplyDeleteBut I digress. I am pleased that this particular post of yours proves so much more my impression of your intrinsic personality - that you are undoubtedly one insightful writer who puts a premium on earnest and tenaciously reasonable expositions. Once again in one fell swoop you vividly expressed my personal thoughts on the subject - I couldn't have said it any better myself. A major reason why I opted to refrain from posting my own two cents' worth on the matter anymore since it will already be quite redundant to further underscore the obvious inanity of that particular post and the unwarranted hullabaloo it has spawned. Plus it helps that I'm spared the effort of dignifying that person's site with my retort, haha...
Keep it up, Katz. I'm sure honored to have been the first to inform you about Ms. Ragaza's self-absorbed abomination of a blog post.
personally, i never attacked anything other than her views. it's just funny to see how many people actually got all butthurt over the whole thing, that's why i gay the thread up with irrelevant pictures (or pictures meant to annoy whoever might lack a semblance of a sense of humor) i still don't get that gomitch guy
ReplyDeleteso i read the first couple of sentences on her blog entry and then closed the window. what she deserves is one huge shrug. nothing more, nothing less. this woman is so out of touch with logic itself that she is actually pretty harmless, if you think about it.
ReplyDeleteI just saw the title of the blog you linked to and decided not to even read it. The title alone made my hair stand on end.
ReplyDeleteBut I do love what you wrote. I hate it when people don't know how to stick to the intellectual level when arguing and debating. Makes the whole exercise so futile. And I usually love arguments (or discussions, it you want a milder term).
Wahahahaha! Because I misspelled it! It is supposed to be exegetical. (*editing now...*)
ReplyDeleteThank you for telling me about her blog entry. If anything it was an interesting exercise in self-control and introspection. And thank you for pointing out the misspell! :-D
I've been to your happy place and I like it there (wait, did that sound bad???) - so, yes, don't let the likes of her ruin it! :-)
ReplyDeleteI didn't read all of it din. I've been taking a class this whole semester on race, class, and gender, and I actually have the document from which she was quoting (and the accompanying rebuttal, I might add.) I think it's harmless for most people because they know better anyway. Like most of our gay friends are so wonderfully sure of themselves already, so I think they'll take a similar stance. Besides, tayo pa! *swoosh goes the abanico, laugh-laugh-laugh snootily*
ReplyDeleteI was actually more worried about homosexuals who have yet to come out in the open and find love and acceptance. I don't want this to influence their decision to live out in the open and expect respect, acceptance, and love.
I know! Imagine the possibilities if only people stick to the real issue. What a wonderful conversation it could have been!
ReplyDeleteI am not gonna dignify a post like that (as I've heard it described) by wasting my time and reading it, though I am happy to read your response here. It's even handed and clear headed as usual.
ReplyDeleteHitler is believed to have been gay by enough people that it goes beyond "conspiracy theory" and into the realm of historical debate. I watched a History Channel (or was it HBO?) program on the subject. Very provocative.
I love talking Bible with folks who take it verbatim. There are a few versions of this little ditty going around the internet, which gives some insight into how I love approach it.
I like going in the opposite direction, too, and trying to get a discussion on where in the Bible stem cell research is forbidden. Ironically, the same folks defending frozen embryos today are the same who called any sort of artificial insemination ("test tube babies," and so on) an absolute abomination 30 years ago.
And that actually brings some measure of comfort, knowing that minds can still be changed given enough knowledge, wisdom, and time.
ReplyDelete(Nice to see you back here, Dave!)
I don't share that optimism. If you ask a really "devout" person about this subject, even if they're old enough to remember the fury over test tube babies from the various, mostly Christian religions, they will say, "No, that never happened." I was a child and I remember it discussed in schools, church, on TV...
ReplyDeleteWhen the zealots lost the battle, they waited an acceptable amount of time, and twisted the old argument against the practice into a new idea altogether. Suddenly the abominations were now sacred creatures of God.
I see your point. *sighs* But there will always be something wrong - I feel like there's no way to absolutely please them anyway (which, I guess, could be said about me and my social activism, too, I guess); so every little victory counts.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I am trying to quash the little Pollyanna in me and I'm trying to accept the fact that we just will not live in harmony - which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As much as I disagree with the zealots, I can't imagine life without them. (Ack! Co-dependency!) But I don't want to get along with them as much as I want to have respect all around anyway, you know? Equity is more important than harmony.
Have I gone off-tangent! LOL! My apologies. I'm a little circumspect right now because of a totally different reason. I'll be talking about that in the next blog...