Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Strange Comfort in That Which Cannot Be Explained

I normally don't talk about my faith as much as I talk about my political beliefs. It isn't really because of shame as much as it is because my faith is admittedly too precarious for me to talk about. I have never been one to choose religion over faith, and so I would appear too liberal to "non-believers" (ugh, I hate that term...these people still believe in something, just not God - proof eternal that we live in a predominantly theist society that does not necessarily embrace those who are different...), at the same time appear too wishy-washy for those who are still burning with religious fervor.

But I see a lot of people blog about their faith and I really am moved by their vigor - almost envious even. There seems to be a resurgence of religion in the youth (especially in the Philippines) and I am really pleased. But I grew up with this "religion" and honestly, I don't feel compelled to write about it as much because (and this'll sound really bad)...I've been there and I've done that way before it was in vogue. (Told you it will sound bad.) I know that's wrong, and I'm working on that. Read on...

But it's one of those blah days. I slept for almost 10 hours last night, and instead of waking up fresh-faced to see the new morning, all I wanted to do was crawl back into bed and sleep-sleep-sleep. I am overcome with such tiredness that it's almost scary. There are a lot of things going on right now and I haven't really been dealing with them by choice. There are too many things to do and frankly, I don't have time to be sad. But it's all catching up, and I'm feeling it all right now. So now I am compelled to talk about my faith.

A lot of people ask me why the title of my site is credo quia absurdum. A little background then:

I dated a man who was a Catholic-who-became-an-atheist-who-then-became-a-Christian (how C.S. Lewis, no?). In the course of our relationship, I came to know a lot of atheists who eventually became very-very-very good friends of mine. Up to this very day, I consider these friends closest to my heart.

One of the perks of having such individuals as friends is the lively "debates" we get into. Because of those, I did a lot of introspection. There was a period in my life when I was not searching for God as much as I as reflecting on the tenets posed by most organized religions. I read up on all these other religions not so much to convert as much as to understand where they were coming from and to somehow find a common thread.

What I realized from all my readings is that there can be no real debate between atheists and theists. (Just really-really-really lengthy conversations that end with much laughter, love, and understanding...and beer.) Atheists prove through logic, theists do not prove at all, but believe through faith; yes, even if it is illogical, strange, and absurd. Hence, credo quia absurdum. I believe (precisely) because it is absurd. I choose faith over logic, I choose strange over normal, I choose absurdity over sense.

Now you all know how anal I am and how I need everything clear and explained and in order. But this inexplicable aspect of my life actually brings comfort. I do not want to explain or prove God's existence as much as I want to experience it. I don't tell other people to convert as much as I want them to find out more about God when they see how I live my life. I know I fail to do that in so many ways, but it isn't about my failure as much as it is about God's success.

So there. I'm not going to apologize for not wearing my faith on my sleeve. I'm too much of a tax collector than a pharisee anyway. I choose to practice my faith in silence and hope that my silence can shut down the noise that my demons keep making. Some people say I do not talk about my faith enough...but look at the title of my site. I do proclaim my faith, every single day. But I am also a work in progress and I shall leave the proselytizing to the experts. And I'm not going to apologize for embracing my faith over my logic either.

My comfort is in this inexplicable wonder called Jesus and I am nothing without this absurdity.

Comfort in Your Strangeness
by Cynthia Alexander

Woke up this morning
I was staring at the ceiling cracks and road maps and highways and landscapes
I have seen
I have been
to places far and deep in my mind only to find
comfort in Your strangeness

Of moving shadows when I call the wind by name
rushing firewater in the dark of a cloud
I have seen
I have been
to places far and deep in my mind only to find
comfort in Your strangeness

We are slaves to the crimes we commit
in fits of passion
we shame
We are nothing, we are nothing, we are nothing, we are nothing
But the dust on Your feet
Dying to be born again
Singing ether, water, fire, singing earth, singing air
I have seen
I have been
to places far and deep in my mind only to find
comfort in Your strangeness
I have seen
I have been
to places far and deep in my mind
only to find
comfort in Your strangeness



12 comments:

  1. i love this post, especially this part :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz. Actually, your blog is one of the blogs I was talking about. You're so unlike other Christian bloggers who make me feel bad about myself. You write with such passion and I really am moved by you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah

    nothing shouts louder than a life completely transformed from the inside out.

    and i understand what you mean when you say faith over religion!

    Great blog cuz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, 'insan! Isa ka pa actually. Your blogs are really intensely amazing. It's especially great considering I've literally seen how you've grown through the years. Hindi na tayo bully! LOL! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Katz! What a wonderful blog.. and thanks for sharing and being so honest.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing katz :) went through A LOT of introspection and searching as well. For me I actually find it amusing how my faith deepens through logic :-)
    **btw, i can imagine you singing to this song.. missing your singing voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what better way to end this beautiful blog. Comfort in Your Strangeness. beautiful song. :) here here to embracing what is different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post, ma'am. i really think this will inspire a lot of christians who remain in the doubt about which to believe in, logic or faith, since you used enough reason and humility. you are now one of the christians i genuinely admire haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am deeply moved and inspired by what you have shared. I think it is something that all of us go through at a certain point, to reflect about the things that move us, that make us and that shape us.
    And you're right, it is a personal choice and you should never ever have to apologize for it.
    Panalo ka 'day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you guys! I am blown away with all of your kind words. Thanks so-so-so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you guys! I am blown away with all of your kind words! Thank you so much!

    dshuang saidthanks for sharing and being so honest.. :-)
    Thanks, Den! :-)

    ginaroldan saidFor me I actually find it amusing how my faith deepens through logic :-)
    LOL! I see how that can happen sometimes...personally, I find that sometimes my faith influences my logic. Of course that's just a case of me forcing the square peg into the round hole most of the time. I don't think that faith and logic should be mutually exclusive anyway. The juxtaposition itself is revelatory. :-)

    starfishgalaxy saidwhat better way to end this beautiful blog. Comfort in Your Strangeness. beautiful song. :)
    Grabe naman kasi talaga si Cynthia e! Hands down, she is my favorite female artist. EVER. And ending it with a song is Ateneo's influence on me. I just realized how the format is patterned after the daily reflections we do in class! LOL!

    dyeisi saidgreat post, ma'am. i really think this will inspire a lot of christians who remain in the doubt about which to believe in, logic or faith, since you used enough reason and humility. you are now one of the christians i genuinely admire haha :)
    Wow, coming from you, that's a pretty amazing compliment, JC. And don't worry, I won't try to convert you, harhar. Although...the water's great... ;-)

    laforts saidPanalo ka 'day!
    Love it! LOL! Thanks, Carol. Those of us who are far away from home are prone to introspection talaga. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ah hindi! bully pa rin si jor! he calls me autistic! BOO! hahahaha

    on a serious note, thanks so much, katz, i was really touched by what you said :) have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete