At the same time, though, I am at the point of my research and writing where I feel stumped not only because of the ever-present threat of writer's block, but also because, to tell you quite honestly, it's a little depressing. I am not writing this thesis for the sake of academic what-ifs. Technically, it's a Master's Project because I intend to create a working unit, one that can be applied in the classroom. But I am discouraged by the creeping awareness that this little-project-that-could, well, won't.
I'm designing the unit so that it can be adapted to the curriculum of the school where I used to teach: an all-boys, Catholic school, that has long been the precursor of innovative pedagogical paradigms. But with all due respect to that school and its community, that school doesn't need this lesson as much as other schools do. As much as other children do. That school already has a wealth of resources available to them. I know that I need to go to the heads of the public education system to affect real change in Philippine society. If I want to make real change in the Philippine educational system, I need to go to the root of the problem. And there lies the rub. My idealism is dwarfed by the enormity of corruption and apathy that surround public schools. I feel tiny and insignificant and lost.
This is no pipedream. This topic isn't one that I just plucked out of nowhere. Every single paper I've done since I began my Masters has been towards this end. And now that I'm nearing the finish line, I am bogged down by negativity and utter hopelessness. How do I tell the powers-that-be that we should stop emulating the colonizer that no longer occupies us? How do I tell my fellow Filipinos to snap out of their insipid obsessions on copying The Other that clearly has had their fill of us? Hang on, Mr. Tumbleweed, let me join you as you bound aimlessly in the highway of cultural denial...
...Or maybe I'm just tired. Yes, maybe that's just it. This topic is getting the better of me. As it should be, I suppose. Enough writing for today, I guess. I'll be back to my old chipper self tomorrow. For now, listen to me, Oh Great Vastness of Cyberspace. Listen to me fellow Filipinos near and far: We are shackled by our own self-doubts. The oppressor has long gone. We need not be bound by their influence anymore. We can't blame it all on Them anymore. We are the ones bringing ourselves down. Let's be rid of this borrowed identity and forge our own. Because I don't know about you, but I want to be free.
Yeah. From what I've seen Filipinos write, you're up against some heavy stuff indeed. The good "news" are that you're not alone. Not quite. You won't see a radical change during the next few years, though.
ReplyDeleteIt's a great project, and I'm sure it will be used. At private schools first - but that's a start. You will make a difference. Hang in there.
Thanks, Ulla. Sobering yet hopeful, just what I needed. :-) I just really wish it would go somewhere farther than just the school I was talking about. I'm not harboring any grandiose notions of my project and thinking it would change the world, but I sure hope it at least starts something.
ReplyDeleteField of Dreams buddy ...
ReplyDeleteIf you print it, they will read
id love to hear more about it! which age group is it for?
ReplyDeletemy friends and i are working on a NGO now (ill blog about it soon) and we hit a lot of roadblocks too, but God keeps encouraging us to just keep moving, one step at a time. :-) I'm glad He put that in your heart, ...what a precious learning unit that is! our country really needs that! Don't forget that the thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. (BOO.)
alam mo iniisip ko lang
ReplyDeleteyung self doubt could also come from the way society is set up. like yung mga gusto mag audition sa berklee na kinakausap ko. they all think that they cant make it agad without every trying just cause they think theyre not "worthy" since yung local schools sa MNL ayaw sila tanggapin. ano pa kaya yung nasa US etc.
parang yung society na tinitirahan nila hindi masyado nag e encourage and really gives them self doubt.
saka wag kang makinig kay liz. HAHA
ReplyDeleteSHHHHH. :P
ReplyDeleteChaka ninyong dalawa, lol! But seriously, I am so overwhelmed with all the comments I've received since writing this. Most especially touching are the ones that come from my contemporaries who have expressed the same desire to help our country :-). Gives me hope talaga.
ReplyDeletehi kat. haha. do i relate. it gets depressing especially if your adviser tells you your ch 3 needs SIGNIFICANT improvement, which it isn't getting. we'll get through. haha.
ReplyDelete