Thursday, May 14, 2009

Hello. And so we meet again.

So it's been a full week now. My sweat glands have been resuscitated, my atopic dermatitis (skin asthma) is on overdrive, my sleeping pattern is off (which, ironically, means I'm sleeping and waking up normally since I usually have very bad insomnia), and I've gleefully read four books (I'm now on my fifth).

However, it seems as though, no matter how much I psyched myself for this, I was and am still ill-prepared for the monstrosity that is this humidity. It made me wonder if I ever handled this better — I mean, surely I praised this heat to high heavens but a few months ago. Yes, granted, it was during the height of winter, but still! Was it ever really this bad? I swear, for about five minutes this afternoon, I probably went into a shallow coma. I tried to imagine myself in Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, or at least in Mitchell's Savannah, conjuring up some semi-glamorous scene — me on a rocking chair on a creaky porch drinking heavenly sweet tea. I opened my eyes and realized it was just sticky, rash-y me on a couch that was a wonderfully able conduit of evil-evil heat.

So far, my husband has been driving me around because he is the consummate gentleman — and also because I have since gained a renewed appreciation for, well, being alive. Good grief. After driving in the sleepy streets of Grand Rapids, Manila traffic has rendered me fearful for my life. No, seriously. I still have to look at my husband in complete wonderment because he was able to fall back into the groove of driving here, whereas I have resigned myself to the fact that I shall forever be either a commuter or a passenger.

I miss our GR friends. I miss having access to the Internet 24/7 (this one is particularly hard to get over, LOL!). I miss my favorite bar. I miss my cubicle at work. I miss my co-workers. I miss my family — eating dinner and watching Brian Williams together. I miss our church. I miss going to church with my family. Hoo-weee.

But.

It is glorious to be back home. I wake up in the middle of the night and hear Manila nighttime noises. The all-too-familiar skyline greets me everyday. At any given moment during the day, someone, somewhere, is always laughing. Always. :-) The food is UN-BE-LIEVE-A-BLE. Conversations with old friends belie the more than two years spent apart. Our dog, Sushi, curled up against me and promptly fell asleep after heaving a huge and contented sigh. My husband's aunties were here to visit because my father-in-law passed away, and they are a HOOT! :-) It was great to see my in-laws again. And best of all, it is easier to fall asleep now, because my husband is beside me again.

I've been asked several times why I came home. Which place is better. Would I stay long. Aside from the why I came home part, the rest of the usual questions, I honestly don't know how to answer. Right now, I am on the brink of something great (something about work — I don't want to jinx it, so I won't say anything more than this: Weee!) and I feel like I can't say anything final as of yet. All I know is that right now, I feel like I am where I should be. And good things are about to happen.

And so I'm home. And it's great. :-)

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Katz! I'm glad you're in the country again, gracing us with your dose of sunshine :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! The foundation of happiness.

    I'm glad you went home, Katz. You'll get used to the heat again (hehehe).

    ReplyDelete
  3. text text lang kung may kelangan ka =)

    And have a coffee and doughnut: http://www.chocolatekarnival.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. ardyboyy saidwelcome back! lets drink!!!
    Just let me know when! I gave Vince na my number. :-)

    brokenfishbowl saidWelcome back, Katz! I'm glad you're in the country again, gracing us with your dose of sunshine :P
    Talagang may ":p"? LOL! Thanks! I don't think this country needs more sunshine though! :-)

    ullangoo saidYou'll get used to the heat again (hehehe).
    I sure hope so! But it's so funny that YOU'RE telling me that. I guess I shouldn't complain. If a Dane can get used to India's heat, then I shouldn't whine. LOL!

    superoxy007 saidtext text lang kung may kelangan ka =)
    Will do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude. this summer is NOT as hot as last year's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talaga??? At least the rainy days are coming soon, right? Right? Wait, what did Al Gore say? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know - but then I have the personal experience. :)
    The traffic, though - don't hold your breath. Once we've seen the organized variety ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you made it back home all safe an sound
    am a bit confused but thats okay i stay that way

    hope you get use to the heat an all quickly, thats a hard adjustment sometimes

    you mean you dont have interent 24/7 there, how will you make it,lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. ullangoo saidThe traffic, though - don't hold your breath. Once we've seen the organized variety ...
    Too true! Driving in the organized streets of Grand Rapids has ruined me, haha. :-)

    davkal saidyou mean you dont have interent 24/7 there, how will you make it,lol
    I know! Can you feel my pain??? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol,,yea i can feel it but i am not gonna tell you where,, hard to sit down after that

    well at least you can get online ever now an then

    ReplyDelete