Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Goodbye and Thank You, Cynthia

I've always loved Cynthia Alexander. Her songs have the power to transfix me. Musically, she's a cross between a long drink from a quiet brook after a hot and difficult upward trek, and, dark, rich, hot chocolate on a cold night. But more than that (if even possible), her lyrics just draw me in, in, in, in...into a part of me that I didn't even know needed comforting.

Back when I was single, I used to go to Conspiracy along Visayas Avenue (alone), just to watch her. (Also because their pizza tasted so goooooood with beer.) She's not that intimidating to look at, but when she starts singing...oi. Many a time I cried (yes, on my own) because. Well. I needed to, I had to, I was compelled to, because that's what happened when Cynthia lulled the darkness out of me. Hands down, my favorite song of hers is Comfort In Your Strangeness, a song I've used to help me say what I've often had difficulty to fully express what I wanted to say. When she played that, ay, ayan na the tears.

And now she's saying good bye, relocating to Seattle. I wasn't able to watch her gig last Friday because the school had a major event, and I doubt if I'll be able to watch any of her gigs in this Send Off Series* (now that I am married and with a small child), but Cynthia, know that I am sad to see you go.

Here she is, from last week. I love how the crowd sang for her when she was unable to do so. :')




Thank you for being such a comfort to me. And for reminding me to find comfort in Strangeness, in the Absurd (and in the Pink).


"I have seen
I have been
to places far and deep in my mind only to find
comfort in Your strangeness"


----

* Her next shows are this Friday at 70's Bistro along Anonas and then this Saturday at Conspiracy once again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment