Sunday, October 14, 2012

Precision of Language

“Even trained for years as they all had been in precision of language, what words could you use which would give another the experience of sunshine?” 

I have been told by several people that I am the strongest person they’ve ever known. I know it’s bad manners to deflect a compliment (because that was the spirit in which they paid it), but I might have to disagree.

I overcompensate, that’s what. I’m the poster child-woman for Napoleonic Tendency. I think. (Add that to the list of maladies, why don’t I?)

Either way, deflecting or overcompensating, these days, I don’t feel so strong. At least not when I’m alone. These days, my husband has been my source of strength.

I don’t know what people see in me, why people love me and stick with me even after everything I had done, but I’m quite simply, grateful. So this, this post-meds afterglow (for lack of a better term), this is me being grateful. Not strong. Precision of language is essential. Precision of meaning.

Meaning is greater than language. And gratitude is stronger than, well, strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment