But lately, I've been getting a lot of compliments. It's still jarring sometimes, being called beautiful every day. My first instinct is to deflect (and I almost always do), but then good breeding dictates that I say "thank you"...and then I promptly change the topic. When I think of "beautiful" I think, Lucia. My mother. Stars. The sea.
Every time I get complimented, I still feel surprised, amazed that such a thing was said to me.
I've seen, been in, and participated in so much ugliness. And sometimes, I resent that I am (passably) pretty. I feel like it takes away from my credibility as a human being. So I've always put more premium on being charming. On being smart. On being on the defensive.
Because, in the past, I feel like my looks have gotten me into a lot of trouble, given me more responsibility than I can handle, or given me the kind of attention I do NOT want to have.
And so, despite my thinking that I've been at war with myself because I don't like the way I look, I've actually hated myself because the rest of the world likes the way I look. (I think.) I've been called pretty, cute, and now, beautiful, and I've always thought it was the world's way of getting something from me. I've been warned about being "too pretty", that I should be careful, that I should be more aware of how my looks affect the people around me. And hence, the resentment with the way I look.
But. Maybe I am getting more beautiful as I grow older. And maybe, that's okay. Because, I think, what people really see is happiness. And happiness begets beauty.
So, here is my attempt to come to terms with the way I look: I embrace my happiness wholeheartedly. And, okay, I am beautiful. Maybe not in the physical sense, (sorry, still really struggling with accepting that), but holistically. Because...
...my daughter must grow up knowing that...
I love my stretch marks, they're battle scars, and I've emerged victorious.
I love how my breasts show signs of 20 months of breastfeeding, because, seriously, it was the most superheroic thing I've ever done.
I love how my biggest scar is a monument to my biggest achievement and the bestest birthday gift I ever had. (I was in labor on my birthday, Lucia was born the day after.)
I love how the dark circles and the wrinkles show how I still wake up in the middle of the night, just to make sure she's sleeping soundly.
And I love that this new and better definition of beautiful is because of how my body has transformed since becoming a mother. And that she is my happiness. And this happiness has come to define how I am beautiful.
So for the sake of my daughter. Okay, for my own sake...I'm, er, beautiful.
I'm beautiful. (There.)
Deal with it, Universe.
Because I need to deal with it, too.
I LOVE IT, Katz!!!! Ang galing mo talaga magsulat. Habang buhay kang inspirasyon sa kin! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jo! Ikaw din kaya! You've been such an inspiration to me all these years! I LOVE YOU!!! xoxo
DeleteThis post made me cry - in a good way! Thanks for sharing, Katz :)
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! And thank you, too. :)
DeleteAnd you are beautiful. :D
ReplyDeleteKathleen B.