I woke up because our helpers were gustily laughing downstairs. There was a slight crick on my shoulders because Lucia was still curled up beside me. The wind was blowing cold, and as grey as the world was around me, I couldn't help but smile.
Suck it, Mayans. This isn't just the start of the Not-The-End-Of-The-World-After-All Day, this is the start of a brand new life.
It's strange that I'm so calm despite the big changes afoot, what with my bad relationship with Change, but I am at peace. I am happy.
Things are far from perfect. I see difficult times ahead, but it feels good to have an actual goal now.
God speaks to me here. Through the waves that are constant, the visiting kingfishers eating the duhats from the trees, the many-colored flowers that surround me, the chatter of voices that speak a dialect that I am slowly beginning to understand more and more, the late night conversations with our extremely sympathetic yaya, the overflowing generosity and love of my grandparents, the palpable-though-miles-away support of my parents, Lucia's growing vocabulary, everything.
From henceforth, I shall always think of this place as a place of healing. And this day as the start of a brand new life. I may be a single parent now, but God will co-parent with me. I tremble with fear, anticipation, and unbridled joy.
God is good, God is good, God is very good.
No comments:
Post a Comment